Advanced Technical Centers Business Terms Paper
I. Define the Key Terms:
a. Business unionism
b. Servicing model
c. Job control unionism
d. Craft unionism
e. Industrial unionism
f. Union avoidance
g. Union substitution
h. Union suppression
i. Gissel bargaining order
j. Laboratory conditions doctrine
k. Recognition strike
II. Short essay questions
1. What is a union federation and what role does it play in protecting worker rights?
2. Describe the relationship between management’s general approach to labor (i.e., autocratic versus paternalistic) and its labor relations strategy in determining management’s attitude toward unions.
3. A group of nonunionized employees from a local cheese factory petitioned the employer for longer breaks. They claim that the nature of the work is physically demanding and employees are at risk of injury due to fatigue. They believe that longer breaks would help to alleviate fatigue and reduce injury. The employer listens to their arguments but promptly denies their request, arguing that they’ve never had to give longer breaks in the past and no one has complained before. Given the employer has denied their request, what options do these employees now have open to them?
4. Describe how a union organizing drive can legally be initiated.
5. After years of long hours and low pay, Lab technicians at a large hospital have decided that they would like to unionize. Describe the process that they will need to go through to secure union representation.
6. Explain the process that employees must go through in order to get the NLRB to conduct a representation election.