Cultural competency is essential for teachers to be successful in the classroom. They need to understand their own cultural identity as well as be open to learning about the varying cultures of their students.
For this assignment, submit the final version of your 1,000-1,250 word research essay on a controversial topic involving a cultural identifier and the implications for K-12 public education. Be sure to consider the brainstorming you completed in Topic 2, as well as the feedback provided by your peers and your instructor on the rough draft you submitted in Topic 4.
In your research essay address the following:
- 1. Describe the cultural identifier and why you chose it. Explain your connection to your choice of cultural identifiers.
- 2. Summarize the key historical events that have significantly affected your specific cultural identifier.
- 3. Summarize the topic in context of K-12 education, including the related cultural identifier and any associated controversies.
- 4. Identify current opinions for the controversial argument, one supporting and one opposing.
- 5. Describe how this controversial issue could affect your future teaching practices and how it could affect your future students.
- 6. Summarize related policies or methods that have been implemented in schools as a solution to the controversial issue.
Support your research essay with at least 3-5 scholarly resources.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.