NSG 426 University of Phoenix Week 3 Ethical Decision Making Model for DNR Paper
This assignment reinforces the importance of ethical decision-making in nursing. You will apply an ethical decision making model from this week’s readings to an ethical issue.
Review Park’s “An Integrated Ethical-Decision-Making Model for Nurses” from this week’s University Library Readings.
Apply the ethical decision-making model in the article to access to care or an ethical issue of your choice.
Note: If you have questions about your chosen topic, contact your faculty member to ensure it is appropriate.
Follow the steps provided in the model, including the following.
Label each of these six steps:
1. State the ethical issue (and two conflicting ethical principles) and its relevance for nursing practice.
2. Collect and analyze additional information:
- What populations does this serve?
- Who are the key stakeholders?
- What information is needed to overcome the problem?
- After looking at additional information, decide whether the initial problem was correctly stated.
3. Develop alternatives and compare them:
- What alternative programs address the issues?
4. Justify the decision:
- Explain why this is important, needed, or beneficial for vulnerable populations.
5. Find strategies to implement the plan:
- What ethical arguments could you use to dissuade someone who disagrees with the program?