University of Maryland Review a Country Status in Global Community Paper
Target: Assess public health issues, selecting relevant standards from one or more recognized public health assessment tools.
Please pick a country. Using resources from the WHO (https://www.who.int/), OECD (https://www.oecd.org/health/country-health-profiles-eu.htm) and IHME (http://www.healthdata.org/results/country-profiles), CDC (https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/index.html) research that country profile:
- Population and type of political, state and religious definitions. For example, According to BBC data on the country profiles as of December 2019- Algeria: population 41 million; People’s Democratic Republic; major Languages- Arabic, French, Berber; major religion-Islam; life expectancy- 75 years (men), 77 years (women); currency- dinar
- Territory (2-3 main characteristics that might influence Public Health) For example, mountains cover 2/3 of the territory- access to health care challenges due to poor public transportation/roads infrastructure; danger of natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes in blocking/destroying access roads.
- Climate (2-3 main characteristics that might influence Public Health)
- Demographics (changes influencing Public Health)
- Education level (influence on Public Health)
- Economic status, GPD in USD (2-3 main characteristics that may influence public Health)
- Health care spendings and sources of funding in general and Public Health specifically
- Effectiveness of essential health care services provision (understand what essential HC services are and their relationship with Public Health)
- Top 5 reasons of death (think about the connection to Public Health and healthcare system)
- Top 5 reasons of disability (think about the connection to Public Health and healthcare system)
Write a critical analysis (how to write a critical analysis) highlighting:
- Is the information the same across different sources? Why? Provide minimum 2 reasons if different. Make a conclusion about which source should be trusted the most and explain why.
- Discuss which source belongs to national or Global Governance structure and why it is important in terms of the country profile.
- Provide analysis of the 3-5 researched country characteristics and their influence on the Public Health efforts.
- Analyze how the health care funding and performance affect success of Public Health efforts.
- Evaluate differences in top death and disability reasons and explain how Public Health programs and funding contribute to such.