SC 131 Purdue University Unit 9 Causes of Infertility Discussion Responses
Responses to 2 original discussions must be generated, the discussion theme and the 2 original discussions will be provided.
Both replies must be at least 400 words each and must have at least 3 references no older than 5 years.
The 2 original responses will be provided
This is the actual Discussion theme:
The female and male reproductive organs work together to produce offspring. In some cases, couples are not able to reproduce indicating infertility which could be due to a number of factors.
Use your textbook readings and other reliable resources to research these topics in further detail. Then, in your main post, answer the following discussion questions:
- Describe what may cause infertility in females and males.
- How does age affect the ability of a woman to become pregnant?
- Explain one fertility-expanding technique that can be utilized when couples are unable to become pregnant through traditional means.
- What are your thoughts on fertility techniques? Would you choose to utilize these techniques to become pregnant if you had fertility issues? Why or why not.
- When using fertility techniques, what are the chances of multiple births? Explain how this may occur.
Contains unread posts
Briana Clapsaddle posted Jun 20, 2021 1:11 PM
1. Females: Female infertility causes can be difficult to diagnose. There are many available treatments, which will depend on the cause of infertility. Many infertile couples will go on to conceive a child without treatment.
Males: Male infertility can be caused by low sperm production, abnormal sperm function or blockages that prevent the delivery of sperm. Illnesses, injuries, chronic health problems, lifestyle choices and other factors may contribute to male infertility.
2. Age is the single biggest factor affecting a woman’s chance to conceive and have a healthy baby. A woman’s fertility starts to reduce in her early 30s, and more so after the age of 35. The risks of pregnancy complications increase as women age.
3. IVF is a form of assisted reproductive technology (ART). This means special medical techniques are used to help a woman become pregnant. It is most often tried when other, less expensive fertility techniques have failed.
4. I think IVF is an incredible way to go about being able to become pregnant. If I needed another option to go about getting pregnant, although costly, I think I would give it a go. I know a lot of women that had success with IVF.
5. Very possible. Depending on the type of fertility treatment used, if more than one follicle is produced, the risk of multiple gestation can be as much as 1 out of 3 women who become pregnant.
Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. (2019, July 27). Female infertility. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/female-infertility/symptoms-causes/syc-20354308.
Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. (2021, April 13). Male infertility. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/male-infertility/symptoms-causes/syc-20374773.
Age and fertility. Age and fertility – Better Health Channel. (n.d.). https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/age-and-fertility.
U.S. National Library of Medicine. (n.d.). In vitro fertilization (IVF): MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. MedlinePlus. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007279.htm.
Fertility Drugs And The Risk of Multiple Births. Reproductive Facts. (n.d.). https://www.reproductivefacts.org/news-and-publications/patient-fact-sheets-and-booklets/documents/fact-sheets-and-info-booklets/fertility-drugs-and-the-risk-of-multiple-births/.
Contains unread posts
Kiana Bajoie posted Jun 21, 2021 5:13 PM
Causes of infertility in males include low sperm count due to conditions like diabetes or hormonal variations, sexual problems like premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, overexposure to certain chemicals, smoking, certain medications. Causes of infertility in women include ovulation disorders due to variations in hormones, uterine abnormalities, endometriosis, overweight, infections that are sexually transmitted, being exposed to certain types of chemicals. As a woman gets older her body goes through changes which makes her body harder to carry a baby. The risks of going through a pregnancy gets higher as a woman ages.
One fertility-expanding technique that can be utilized when couples are unable to become pregnant through traditional means is In vitro fertilization. In vitro fertilization is a procedure in which a woman’s eggs are removed from her ovaries and they are fertilized with sperm in a laboratory procedure, and then the embryo is returned to the woman’s uterus. There are multiple other techniques. If I had fertility issues I wouldn’t mind using fertility treatments to become pregnant if I couldn’t do it on my own. Depending on the type of fertility treatment used, if more than one follicle is produced, the risk of multiple gestation can be as much as 1 out of 3 women who become pregnant.