You must submit your thesis and outline by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Monday of Module/Week 2 for instructor feedback.
Submit your Fiction Essay by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Monday of Module/Week 3
Guidelines for Developing Your Paper Topic
The “Writing about Literature” section of your Perrine’s Literature textbook (pp. 1–54) and the “Writing” section of Harbrace Essentials (pp. 1–12, 15–16, 18–21, 22–28) provide helpful pointers for writing your literary essay and for academic writing in general. Be sure that you have read these sections before doing any further work for this assignment. Take particular notice of the examples of fiction essays on pp. 38–43 of Perrine’s Literature textbook.
Choose 2 of the following short stories to compare and contrast in your essay:
• “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson
• “The Destructors” by Graham Greene
• “The Rocking-Horse Winner” by D.H. Lawrence
• “Young Goodman Brown” by Nathaniel Hawthorne
• “The Prodigal Son” by St. Luke