MATH 160 Cuyamaca College Statistics Exam Practice
Correct answers are hidden.
Score for this attempt: 0 out of 10 *
Submitted Apr 30 at 11:16am
This attempt took 6 minutes.
Learn by Doing
Some features of this activity may not work well on a cell phone or tablet. We highly recommend that you complete this activity on a computer.
A list of StatCrunch directions is provided at the bottom of this text-box.
Recall the following example: The average gestation period, or time of pregnancy, of an animal is closely related to its longevity—the length of its lifespan. Data on the average gestation period and longevity (in captivity) of 40 different species of animals have been recorded.
For the StatCrunch problem, you will analyze data for 40 species of animals in captivity.
animal: the name of the animal species
gestation: the average gestation period of the species, in days
longevity: the average longevity of the species, in years
The explanatory variable is average lifespan (longevity.) The response variable is length of pregnancy (average gestation period.)
Download the animals (Links to an external site.) datafile. Then upload the datafile in StatCrunch. If you need a reminder about how to do this, review the list of StatCrunch directions below.
In the first question you will produce a scatterplot in StatCrunch (with longevity as the explanatory variable and gestation as the response variable) and then use StatCrunch to calculate the correlation coefficient.
List of StatCrunch Directions
- Purchase StatCrunch (You only need to do this once.)
- Open StatCrunch
- Download Excel Data File
- Upload Excel Data File to StatCrunch
- Download StatCrunch Output Window (do not take screenshots; please use these directions)
- Upload Files into Your Stat-Class Folder in Canvas
- Embed Pictures in a Discussion Post (do not post attachments; please use these directions)
- Copy and Paste StatCrunch Text Output
- Create a Scatterplot in StatCrunch
- Produce the Correlation Coefficient in StatCrunch
Here is a PDF document with all StatCrunch directions (Links to an external site.).
Question 1Not yet graded / 10 pts
These directions assume you have downloaded the animals datafile and uploaded it in StatCrunch. If you have not, please see the Data section above.
- Use StatCrunch to create a scatterplot with longevity as the explanatory variable and gestationas the response variable. (directions)
Download the StatCrunch output window (your scatterplot) and upload it to your Stats-Classfolder in Canvas.
Embed the .png file for your scatterplot in the text-box below.
- Use StatCrunch to produce the correlation coefficient. (directions)
Copy the Correlation “text” output and paste it in the text-box below. (directions)
Correlation between gestation and longevity is: 0.66323967
Correlation between gestation and longevity is:
Score: 0 out of 10